WAG YOUR TAIL IF YOU WANT A DOG PARK IN NORTH ASHEVILLE!
A small group of dog owners met recently to explore options for creating an off-leash park in North Asheville and wants you to join the effort! The next meeting will be in the Education Room at Animal Hospital of North Asheville at 7:00 PM on Monday, February 4th, 2013. The North side lags behind the East and West parts of town, which have welcoming, safe, spacious dog parks. The “Friends for a North Asheville Dog Park” hopes to catch up, with the support and involvement of other AHNA dog lovers.
WHY CREATE A DOG PARK?
- A well-socialized dog is less likely to develop behavior problems such as aggression and excessive barking. An outdoor "club for canines" may help reduce associated neighborhood conflicts. Puppies and dogs that get enough exercise by playing are less likely to create a nuisance, bark excessively, destroy property, jump on passers-by, etc.
- A valuable benefit of a dog park is what is does for the dogs themselves. It gives them the space and freedom to run off-leash with other members of their species, all while being safely supervised. In order for dogs to be healthy and well socialized, they need off-leash time to exercise and play with other dogs. A well-exercised (a.k.a. tired) dog is a happy, healthy, quiet dog and a better neighbor.
- For many people (particularly the elderly, singles, and those with disabilities), the dogs really are their only companions. If they can go to a dog park, it gives them a reason to get dressed, go out, socialize, play with their dog, and strengthen that bond between them and their community. Dog parks provide the elderly and disabled owners with an accessible place to exercise their companions or get their animal fix.
- A dog park would provide opportunities for people to socialize and share valuable, responsible pet ownership information because of the common bond shared by dog owners. Dog parks can bring people together and create a greater sense of community. Dogs help shy people "break the ice".
WANT TO KNOW MORE?
- Follow us on Facebook: “Friends for a North Asheville Dog Park”
- Contact our neighborhood group: Julie Maccarin, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Plan to attend the next organizational meeting on Monday, February 4, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. at Animal Hospital of North Asheville to find out more about our goals and partners, what progress is being made, and how you can help fulfill this dream!
It’s springtime in the mountains and the bees, hornets, and wasps are buzzing around. Many dogs and cats like to chase and bat at these insects, which can result in a painful sting. Dogs and cats who are uninterested in ‘playing’ with these insects are also often stung, so what do you do if your pet is stung by a bee, hornet, or wasp?
If you suspect your pet has been stung, immediately remove him/her from the area just in case the nest is close by. Next, do a thorough check of your pet’s body, paying special attention to the paws, nose, ears, and inside the mouth. If your pet has been stung inside their mouth, call us at 828-253-3393 immediately. A sting to the inside of the mouth can be serious, especially if the tongue is swollen.
Next, remove the stinger. Never use tweezers to remove a stinger, as this can squeeze more venom into the wound. Use something with an edge, like a butter knife, credit card, or even your fingernail, to scrape across the surface of the skin. Apply a cold compress to relieve swelling and itching. An antihistamine can help with any allergic reaction, but never give your pet any drugs without first consulting with us at Animal Hospital of North Asheville. We are happy to take your phone call and help you at any time.
Most insect stings are not serious, and can be treated at home, but sometimes they require immediate medical attention, especially in cases of anaphylactic shock. Anaphylactic shock is an extreme, often life-threatening allergic reaction.
Early signs of anaphylactic shock:
- Swollen muzzle and/or tongue
The above symptoms can quickly progress to one or more of the following:
- Weak pulse
- Cold Limbs
- Shallow, rapid and difficult breathing
- Changes in behavior / mental clarity (over-excitement, depression, etc.)
- Pale gums and other mucous membranes
- Elevated heart rate
Anaphylactic shock can be fatal if not treated immediately. Even in a crisis, it is best to call the animal hospital (828-253-3393) before you leave your house or on your way so that we are expecting you and no time is lost as you arrive. If you have an over-the-counter antihistamine like Benadryl readily available and your pet is still able to swallow, call to ask us about dosage. If your pet stops breathing, you will need to give artificial respiration and CPR. For instructions on how to correctly administer CPR to your pet, Click Here.