Our Blog

June 17, 2015 - 10:21am

By Drs. David and Betsy Thompson

We have had three of our own beloved dogs bitten by venomous snakes in the last two years, so we certainly understand that even the most diligent pet parent cannot totally protect their pet from the danger of poisonous snakes, at least not if you allow them to accompany you on outdoor outings. Our experiences with our own dogs may be helpful to you, so we want to share their snake bite stories with you. Poisonous snakes are prevalent in Western North Carolina, so please be aware that if your dog is bitten by one, he or she needs immediate veterinary...

January 15, 2015 - 1:21pm

Here at Animal Hospital of North Asheville, we see many heartbreaking cases where beloved pets have suffered illnesses, or even death, because the family of the pet was not aware that very common things that we eat or items that we have in the home could pose a threat to the pet.

October 23, 2013 - 3:47pm

We want all of our clients to be aware of the information on the FDA Fact Sheet: Jerky Treats which you can read by clicking here.
 

February 13, 2013 - 5:31pm

In late August, Asheville Humane Society brought a severely injured but adorable seven to eight week old kitten to Animal Hospital of North Asheville to see if we could help him. He had been hit by a car, and had multiple injuries including a broken right rear leg, an extremely large hernia (muscle tear allowing the abdominal organs into a space under the skin), and a dislocated carpus (wrist).  This terribly injured little guy was such a sweet boy, purring through all of his exams and procedures. Of course, the hospital staff fell in love with this brave boy! With Asheville Humane Society...

December 10, 2012 - 4:58pm

The smell of the feast is sure to have tails wagging, but busy crowds of family and friends and an abundance of food may present safety hazards for your pets. The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) and Animal Hospital of North Asheville offer the following tips to keep pets safe this holiday season.

The holiday feast is for people – not pets.  Table scraps may seem like a fun way to include a pet, but many foods are poisonous to pets, including onions, garlic, raisins and grapes. Go to AVMA.org for a complete list of foods and household items that are dangerous or...

September 5, 2012 - 5:57pm

Most people don’t give a lot of thought to what they put into their purse or pockets before rushing  off to a busy day of work or other activities. Keys, chewing gum, medication, grocery list – it’s grab and go! When you return home and set your open handbag down, or forget to empty out your pockets before leaving your clothes lying around, then your pet can get into serious mischief.

Here are the five most common items found in purses or pockets that are toxic to pets:

1. Sugarless chewing gum and breath mints

Chewing gum, if ingested by a dog, can be fatal. Most...

August 10, 2012 - 3:09pm

Through the years, I have seen many dogs who have not used good judgment about what they eat. It is so easy for accidents to happen. Mandy, a 9 ½ year old very beloved lab mix, came in to Animal Hospital of North Asheville in the evening of June 4, 2012 as an emergency. Mandy had found a bottle of Phenobarbital tablets that had just been purchased at the drug store for Mindy, one of the other dogs in the family.

May 10, 2012 - 11:29am

The recent recall of pet food due to salmonella has been expanded to include MANY more brands. For the exact names and production codes of affected brands, and to visit the official recall website, Click Here. (this website no longer exists)

The brands included are:

  • Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul
  • Country Value
  • Diamond
  • Diamond Naturals
  • Premium Edge
  • Professional
  • 4Health
  • Taste of the Wild
  • Apex
  • Kirkland Signature/Kirkland Signature Nature’s Domain
  • Canidae
  • ...
May 7, 2012 - 6:58pm

By Dr. Warren Riggle

Lily, a 4 year 4 month German Shorthaired Pointer, came to us as an emergency on November 16, 2011 around 2:30 P.M. after being seen by another veterinary hospital two weeks prior for undiagnosed pain.  At that hospital, she was prescribed a pain medication called tramadol, and she seemed to be doing better.

The evening before Lily came to our clinic she had gotten into the trash and started vomiting. The following morning, Lily continued vomiting and was not eating or drinking but was able to walk. Early in the afternoon, Lily had suddenly gotten much...

May 5, 2012 - 10:02am

It’s springtime in the mountains and the bees, hornets, and wasps are buzzing around. Many dogs and cats like to chase and bat at these insects, which can result in a painful sting. Dogs and cats who are uninterested in ‘playing’ with these insects are also often stung, so what do you do if your pet is stung by a bee, hornet, or wasp?

If you suspect your pet has been stung, immediately remove him/her from the area just in case the nest is close by. Next, do a thorough check of your pet’s body, paying special attention to the paws, nose, ears, and inside the mouth. If your pet has...

Pages

Subscribe to