Early one morning, Zoee, a beloved 4 ½ year old Yorkie arrived as an emergency here at Animal Hospital of North Asheville. Her human mom was concerned that Zoee had possibly swallowed a large piece of a rawhide chew because she was gagging and making attempts to vomit.
By Dr. Golden
Whether at home, or during hospitalization for a medical or surgical disorder, life-threatening medical emergencies can develop at any time in our animal companions. At AHNA, we recognize the need to be prepared for such events and take pride in being ready to intervene in a prompt and professional matter should such a need arise.
Life-threatening emergencies can arise from numerous and varied types of accidents, traumas, exposure to toxins, and the onset or progression of a multitude of medical and surgical diseases. When they occur, the most important...
The only drug approved for treatment of adult heartworm infections, Immiticide, is not presently available nationwide due to technical problems being experienced by the manufacturer, Merial. Until Animal Hospital of North Asheville is able to obtain the drug again, we are unable to treat adult heartworms.
A First Aid Kit, one especially for pets, is something every pet owner should have available at home and when traveling. First Aid should never be a substitute for veterinary care, but is meant to be a means to treat your furry family member until veterinary care can be obtained. First aid kits for pets can be homemade or purchased.
By Andrea Wright
My girlfriend, Jillian, adopted Milo and his sister, Eloise from Mary Paws in January of 2010. Both Milo and Eloise were born with problems that make them a little wobbly on their feet. We were told that neither of them would be able to climb, run, or get around very well at all.
We took them home and began trying to make our home safe for them. We made a barrier out of boxes to block the stairs - which Milo promptly jumped over. So much for the limited mobility!
Ever since that first day, Milo has been full of surprises. He loves to climb,...
WellPet, makers of Wellness Natural Pet Food, are voluntarily recalling some lots of their canned food due to potentially insufficient amounts of vitamin B1 ( also known as thiamine).
Wellness Canned Cat Food (all flavors and sizes) with best by dates from 14APR13 through 30SEPT13
and Wellness Canned Cat Chicken and Herring (all sizes) with the best by date of 10 NOV13 and 17NOV13.
If you have cat food from these lots, you should stop feeding your cats. You may call WellPet at 1-877-227-9587 to arrange for return of the product and reimbursement.
The ominous hissing, the mournful meows, the defensive scratching or biting, the upset bowels — feline stress is just plain unpleasant for cats and you. Many cats get stressed when it’s time for a veterinary visit. Thankfully, there are ways to help cats relax and enjoy the ride — yes, even in the car. Here’s what you can do.
Recently, Procter and Gamble, owner of Iams and Eukanuba, issued a recall on certain dry pet foods. AHNA immediately identified and contacted all owners of pets who we knew were fed these dry foods to warn them of the recall.
Below you will find a link with more information on the recall as well as a list of UPC codes included in the recall.
http://www.iams.com/iams/en_US/data_root/html/recall_message.html - this link is no longer active.
It’s a hot, steamy day. The clouds build, and you hear rumbles of thunder in the distance. For most of us and our pets, there’snothing to fear. But for animals with storm phobia, it’s time to panic. A “phobia” is a persistent, irrational fear of a stimulus, and can manifest in many ways, from anxiety and trembling all the way to destructive behaviors.
The Fourth of July and its accompanying celebrations can be a traumatic experience for pets. A little preparation can go a long way toward making sure that they are safe and happy when the festivities begin.
Eliza Mazzaferro, MS, DVM, PhD, DACBECC, director of emergency services at Wheat Ridge Veterinary Specialists in Colorado, says the Fourth of July is a busy time because of the inherent risks the holiday poses to pets. The most common culprit: fireworks.
“Pets get anxious and break out of kennels, jump through windows and get lacerations, and when loose, can get hit by...