Losing a pet friend and companion can be heartbreaking. Whether it is a sudden or planned goodbye, it is an emotional time. We understand the strength and specialness of the animal – human bond. Four Seasons Bereavement Support is hosting a Free Pet Loss and Grief Support Group the first Tuesday of each month. This group is for anyone who is grieving the loss of an animal companion and needs further support.
Kathy Link, a licensed clinical social worker at Four Seasons. Four Seasons provides a continuum of care across eleven counties in Western North Carolina, including Buncombe County. They provide care navigation, home care, palliative care, hospice care, community bereavement support, and clinical research. Kathy is very excited to be the first facilitator of the Four Seasons Pet Loss Grief Support Group in Buncombe County. She is supported by an entire team of community bereavement professionals including other licensed clinical social workers, chaplains, and music therapists.
Like many of us, Kathy has been touched by the loss of a canine companion and found a passion in helping families with their grief.
When I was going back to school to become a social worker, my beloved 16 year old Shih-Tzu passed away after a sudden illness. Her name was Bailey. I’ll never forget the struggle of attempting to attend classes while grieving the loss of my pet. And I’ll never forget the professor who told me through my weeping apologies of what I thought to be inappropriate tears at an inappropriate place that grieving the loss of a pet is one of the most difficult processes that people go through in our culture, and that when we lose our pets, we need the same level of support – and sometimes even more – as when we lose a human. I am truly honored to provide that support to my community. - Kathy
Four Seasons Pet Loss Grief Support Group
The first meeting of 2019 is February 5th.
- Who: Anyone who has lost a pet and is grieving and needs further support.
- What: Four Seasons Pet Loss Grief Support Group
- When: The first Tuesday of every month from 5:30pm to 6:30pm (Starting Feb. 5th, 2019)
- Where: Four Seasons Buncombe County Office, 373 Biltmore Ave, Asheville
- Why: Because your feelings of grief matter, and our pets are our family
- Cost: There is no cost to group participants. Four Seasons Bereavement Support services are made possible by community support and philanthropic donations. For more information on how to support the mission of Four Seasons and this program in particular, please call the Four Seasons Foundation at 828.513.2440. www.FourSeasonsCFL.org