Why Choose Us?
Just some of our hospital features:
- Totally separate facilities for cat and dog patients greatly enhances the patient experience
- Feline ward includes play area/sunroom; Special padding and blankets for all patients; TVs in the wards, heated beds and separate sleeping and elimination areas; calming music and enrichment
- Canine ward which includes special padding and blankets; TVs in the wards and natural sunlight, calming music and enrichment
- Intensive Care Pods where you can be with your hospitalized patient all day, if you like
- A learning center to bring you classes about pet health care
- Well-equipped Emergency Treatment Room and diagnostic area for incoming emergencies
- Updated and separate feline and canine ICU units for constant attention of critical cases
- More windows throughout for enhanced natural lighting for patient feeling of well-being
- Special Procedures Room for endoscopy, otoscopy, rhinoscopy & other advanced procedures
- Spacious surgery suite with own air system that can accommodate our laparoscopic equipment
- Two dental suites with separate air system and the latest in digital dental x-ray and equipment
- Safe, well-lit, enclosed outdoor walking area for canine hospitalized patients
- Pheromones, specific to canine and felines throughout the hospital to help decreased stress
Watch Our Video:
- ALL NIGHT CARE: We are committed to exceptional, advanced pain control and are leaders in this area. Long before pain control was common, we had a board-certified surgeon/pain specialist come on site to evaluate our procedures and train us using regional nerve blocks, continuous rate infusions, epidurals and other techniques. Always keeping current on the latest information, we control pain prior to, during and after surgery more safely and with less depth of anesthesia. The ONLY way to ensure excellent pain control and medical monitoring throughout the night is to have staff in the hospital, awake and constantly monitoring our patients, so we provide a unique service to our patients in that we provide all night nursing care with a doctor on call all week long.
- $$$ SAVINGS: We reviewed our client’s usage of emergency facilities and identified that if we stayed open until 8:30 PM weekday evenings as well as offering appointment 8:00AM-5:00Pm on Saturdays. Most important, our hours allow your pet to be cared for by a staff who knows your pet and has the complete medical record.
- With the exception of times that your pet is in surgery, undergoing chemotherapy or radiology, or experiencing a critical emergency, you are welcome to be with your pet throughout the hospital so that you can see everything your baby experiences and, more importantly, so that your little one (or big one) has your reassuring presence!
- Of course, all of our staff members are selected for their love of and desire to care for animals, and they receive hours of instruction from noted behaviorists on how to reduce patient stress and provide comfort.
- Fear Free Philosophy and Low-Stress Handling as well as continuing education and Fear Free certification for our staff.
- Our goal is a fast and accurate diagnosis. This saves you money and prevents suffering and heartache. We keep technologically updated to provide your pet the best in diagnostics.
- We have a fulltime doctor entirely devoted to dentistry and anesthesia, a doctor with extensive ultrasound training, 3 veterinarians with specialized training in orthopedic surgery and each of our eight veterinarians have extensive training in an area of special interest. These qualifications are rare in WNC and save money and travel time to larger cities for this expertise.
- N.C. requires that veterinarians receive 20 yours yearly of veterinary continuing education training. We require 50 hours yearly and attendance at national meetings where the latest information is available.
- Our doctors hold rounds on complex inpatient and outpatient cases at no additional charge.
- We have the latest telemedicine capabilities, so if needed we can receive a radiologist’s written consultation on x-rays or ultrasound electronically within an hour.
- 40 computer workstations in the hospital keep your pet’s complete medical record at everyone’s fingertips
- GREEN HOSPITAL: Energy Recovery System for our heating/cooling, 99% paperless, recycle, recycle, recycle, energy saving bulbs and appliances
- GENERATOR to provide life-saving care in a power outage
- Our non-doctor staff is highly trained and they greatly impact the care that our patients receive.
- Staff retention greater than 10 years – very high for this industry – we have the best.
- We provide in hospital staff training along with off-campus training opportunities.
- We have 11 gentle Certified Veterinary Technicians caring for patients.
- Our goal is to provide the best care at an affordable price. We keep our prices lower than comparable hospitals and offer the best value. Buying in volume allows us to keep prices low and the use of our expensive equipment by so many veterinarians allows us to charge lower prices.
Awards and Accomplishments:
- Awarded Pet Plan’s national award, “Practice of the Year 2014.”
- Voted Best Veterinarian by Mountain Express year after year.
- Voted Best Veterinarian by WNC Parent year after year.
- Superior Service Award from Angie’s List – the highest award
- Certified by The American Animal Hospital Association since 1979. First in Asheville!
- Gold Level (highest) Cat-Friendly Practice Program of American Association of Feline Practitioners – “Treatment, equipment, and environment designed to elevate care for cats.”
- Beautification awards: Men’s Garden Club and Quality Forward
- Active with humane organizations, nursing home pets, school pets, wildlife rehab, dog parks, etc.
- Living Wage Certified 2013 - “It is rare in the animal care industry to provide a Living Wage to all your staff; we encourage our community to support and celebrate this philosophy. Animal Hospital of North Asheville is redefining the term “successful business” by looking beyond profit alone and taking more relevant factors into consideration, such as employees, environment, and our community.”
- 2018: Asheville Lifestyles Magazine's Reader Choice: Best Veterinarian
- Donating 1000s pounds of food to animals in need in our community during the AHNA Holiday Food Drive
- All of our veterinarians and the majority of our support staff are Fear Free Certified:Professional.
About AAHA Certification
Animal Hospital of North Asheville has been certified by the American Animal Hospital Association since 1979. We are the first veterinary hospital in Asheville to receive AAHA-accreditation and we remain committed to AAHA's high standards of excellence.
What does AAHA-certification mean for your pet and you? In order to achieve AAHA-certification, the Animal Hospital of North Asheville must adhere to the highest standards in customer service, facility operations, patient care, and medical equipment, among other criteria. Only a small percentage of animal hospitals in the country achieve AAHA-certification.