Losing a pet friend and companion can be heartbreaking. Whether it is a sudden or planned goodbye, it is an emotional time. We understand the strength and specialness of the animal – human bond. On the first and third Monday of each month, we are hosting a Pet Loss Grief Support Group presented by Four Seasons Compassion for Life. This group is for anyone who is grieving the loss of an animal companion and needs further support.
We want to welcome Kathy Link, a licensed clinical social worker at Four Seasons. Four Seasons provides a continuum of care across eleven counties in Western North Carolina, including Buncombe County. They provide care navigation, home care, palliative care, hospice care, community bereavement support, and clinical research. Kathy is very excited to be the first facilitator of the newly formed Four Seasons Pet Loss Grief Support Group in Buncombe County. She is supported by an entire team of community bereavement professionals including other licensed clinical social workers, chaplains, and music therapists.
Like many of us, Kathy has been touched by the loss of a canine companion and found a passion in helping families with their grief.
When I was going back to school to become a social worker, my beloved 16 year old Shih-Tzu passed away after a sudden illness. Her name was Bailey. I’ll never forget the struggle of attempting to attend classes while grieving the loss of my pet. And I’ll never forget the professor who told me through my weeping apologies of what I thought to be inappropriate tears at an inappropriate place that grieving the loss of a pet is one of the most difficult processes that people go through in our culture, and that when we lose our pets, we need the same level of support – and sometimes even more – as when we lose a human. I am truly honored to provide that support to my community. - Kathy
Four Seasons Pet Loss Grief Support Group
- Who: Anyone who has lost a pet, is grieving and needs further support
- What: Four Seasons Pet Loss Grief Support Group
- When: The first and third Monday of every month from 7 pm to 8:30 pm
- Where: Animal Hospital of North Asheville, 1 Beaverdam Rd, Asheville, NC 28804
- Why: Because your feelings of grief matter, and our pets are our family
- Cost: There is no cost to group participants. Four Seasons Bereavement Support services are made possible by community support and philanthropic donations. For more information on how to support the mission of Four Seasons and this program in particular, please call the Four Seasons Foundation at 828.513.2440. www.FourSeasonsCFL.org
February 5th and 19th
March 5th and 19th
April 2nd and 16th
May 7th and 21st
June 4th and 18th
July 2nd and July 16th