Our Blog

April 23, 2019 - 10:07pm

...

April 23, 2019 - 11:44am

One evening we received a phone call about a kitten who accidentally had his back toes caught by a rolling office chair, and now his back toes were bleeding. Just barely 5 weeks old and weighing only one pound, Squirt was a little ball of orange fluff with a big personality. Squirt quickly proved he was a brave little kitten.

Dr. Frye quickly assessed that Squirt had a degloving injury to one of his rear toes. A degloving injury is also called an avulsion which is a type of severe injury that happens when the top layers of the skin and tissue are ripped from the underlying muscle,...

February 25, 2019 - 2:07pm

Animal Hospital of North Asheville is now offering Revolution Plus to provide your cat with the best and most effective protection against parasites!

Revolution Plus is a simple to apply, quick-drying, monthly topical product that offers protection for cats and kittens against fleas, ear mites, roundworms, hookworms, heartworms, and now additionally ticks.

Parasites do not just cause health issues in cats that go outside; indoor-only cats can be affected too. Fleas, ticks, intestinal parasites and mosquitoes (which cause heartworms) can be carried in on our clothing or...

January 21, 2019 - 10:14pm

Like us, our cats and dogs benefit from proactive dental care. Good dental habits are vital to a healthy pet, not just a healthy mouth.

Our pets seldom show us symptoms of mild dental disease. Usually, by the time they show signs (not eating, dropping food, pawing at the mouth, odor, or bleeding of the gums) pain and damage has occurred. Every day, your pet’s gums are progressing towards periodontal disease if you are not doing something to prevent it. Even when it reaches an advanced stage and is very painful, pets can’t tell you what they are going through!  Often families have...

December 18, 2018 - 4:14pm

By Dr. Amy Plankenhorn

We’ve all seen the pictures – it’s Christmas morning, and Mom or Dad brings an adorable puppy wearing a red bow into the room. The kids are delighted! The puppy is delighted! Mom and Dad high-five because this was the Best Christmas Ever!

Well, maybe it was, but maybe not. Giving a pet as a surprise gift can work out fine, but there are some important factors to take into consideration:

1)    Does the recipient have the time, energy and finances to be able to care for the pet appropriately? Kids may pledge to care for a new...

December 17, 2018 - 4:28pm

When cat litter was invented in 1947, it was made of grains of absorbent clay called Fuller’s earth. There was just one brand, called Kitty Litter, and cat owners had a choice between that or natural sand or sawdust.

...

November 18, 2018 - 4:34pm
  • SSRI antidepressants
  • Lilies (Lilium & Hemerocallis)
  • Liquid potpourri
  • Glow jewelry and glow sticks
  • Household cleaners

The ASPCA sees an increase of certain toxins for cats during the holidays and winter months. Toxins can cause many symptoms including GI upset, salivation, seizures, or death. If your cat has gotten into any of the above toxins, contact the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (1-888-426-4435) and your veterinarian right away! It could be the difference between life and death.

SSRI Antidepressants

...

October 19, 2018 - 9:09pm

One thing I have noticed since starting at AHNA is that beer seems to be everywhere in Asheville, and there are countless breweries and beer enthusiasts around. For those of you that are brewing your own style of suds at home, we wanted to make you aware of a potential toxin for your canine companion: hops. Our favorite bittering agent might not have much appeal to us other than to flavor our IPAs, but it is sometimes interesting to our four legged friends. Ingestion of hops can lead to a malignant hyperthermia (high temperature), increased heart rate, and rapid breathing. Unfortunately,...

December 18, 2017 - 11:03am

By CriticalCareDVM

With the holiday season rapidly approaching, homes around the world will begin to decorate using materials like tinsel and handmade macaroni garland on twine. Folks will make personalized gifts liked hand-knitted clothing. These materials – tinsel, twine, yarn, string – are all very enticing to our feline friends. Yet if ingested, they can create a potentially deadly predicament called a linear foreign. To help raise awareness of this issue, I’ve dedicated some time this week to sharing information about...

July 13, 2017 - 10:28pm

Always keep an ID tag on your pet! This is one of the quickest ways to help your pet find his or her way back home.

Be safe! No single ID is fail-safe. Use more than one method of identification. 

Chip your pet! Microchip your pet and keep your contact information current.

...

Pages

Subscribe to